Monday, June 2, 2014

Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Glenwood Canyon RV Resort

May 24-30, 2014


Here we are....perched in the middle of two enormous rock walls....this is what you call a canyon!!!

Unfortunately, the pictures just don't do it justice!  This park is right on the Colorado River.  Historically, towns in this area were located along train routes, and Glenwood Springs is no different. Trains operate across the river from the resort. Train buffs and children love the sound of the engines and the squeaking wheels, but if you are a light sleeper the staff at the office are happy to provide complimentary earplugs.
 




Serendipity means a "fortuitous happenstance" or "pleasant surprise".  Well, that's exactly what happened to us at Glenwood Canyon.  Ken had met Dave in Torrey on one of his morning walks with Barney; who pulls in right next to us at Moab:  Dave and Gail; who do we meet on a trailhead the next day in Arches National Park: Dave and Gail.  Second day here we're watching newcomers "land" at Glenwood Canyon and much to our surprise, it's Dave and Gail.  We've done it again, folks...met another couple who, I'm sure, will be lifelong "on-the-road" friends. 
 
Unfortunately, they were leaving the next morning for Denver, but we promised to meet again, maybe even something during their upcoming summer trip to Maine.
 

We were joined by neighbors, Toni and Ed!
We spent a day and traveled to Aspen.  Cute little ski town with (like most of the area) some stunning views!  The scenery  absolutely took your breath away.


We "cruised" the shops....yes, most of them way to high for my checkbook, but enjoyed the walk anyway.  I have to say I thought most of the people I encountered would look real snooty; and believe me, some did; but for the most part, they were all people just like us!!  Wasn't at all like Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills! 


We enjoyed lunch on the rooftop patio of Boogies Diner.  Nice stop and, of course, Ken flirted with the waitress and found out where we should go from here!



Which, was a trek up to Independence Pass.  We knew about this because all the way to Aspen we kept seeing the signs that said "Independence Pass Open"....



It truly was a beautiful trip (if you dared to look)!  I was so proud of myself through Utah, having been able to make all of those steep ascents and descents with not too much effort.  Here, we were way too close to the edge for my comfort!!
 
 
We spent a day at the mineral pool spa!!  The water was 104 degrees and I have to say, felt wonderful.  I can't say I slept better than night with no aches and pains, but while in the water, felt GREAT!! 
 

The views were pretty spectacular too!

Ken took an afternoon to white water raft on the Colorado....yes, I did chicken out; can't understand why I enjoyed this type of trek so much on our Panama Canal cruise, but got cold feet here....maybe it was because I had a chance to see the water beforehand; or maybe it was that raft I saw with no one in it....just people hanging on to the side. 
 
These pictures, of course, were not taken by Ken; which explains for the poor quality.  But, when you can see him, he's the one with the white sleeved t-shirt and sunglasses on the right.
 
 
 
 

We finally have a picture of this, our friendly Colorado bird (although we saw them many times in Utah too).  They are really beautiful; but I think they're no better than our crows.  We caught a few getting into garbage at our next stop!! 
 
Speaking of, we're leaving here to travel over the Rockies into Denver and up to Estes Park where we will visit Rocky Mountain National Park (another 7,000-plus altitude stop...something I haven't handled as well as I would have liked!)
 
 
But, there are consequences we have to handle in order to see this wonderful, beautiful country.  I'll suck it up!!!  See you there!
 
 

No comments: