Sunday, November 16, 2008

Santa Barbara, California

November 2 - 16, 2008

Thousand Trails - Rancho Oso



Here we are in the hills above Santa Barbara. We're at another Thousand Trails located in the Santa Inez Valley. The views around here are great, but again internet and cell service is very intermittent.













Well, you all know I left Ken here and took a week to fly home for a visit. I looked forward to this trip for so long, it's hard to believe it's already over. The flights were all uneventful, but I have to say, something always happens when you fly! Ken dropped me off at the small Santa Barbara Municipal Airport in the morning. I decided to go through security first and then settle in to wait for my flight. So, off go the shoes and the vest I was wearing; undo the bracelets so they don't "beep" as I go through; out comes the baggie with my five bottles of 3 oz. toiletries; and suitcase and handbag on the x-ray belt. I made it through the check, but my handbag had to be rechecked and then gone through by security personnel. Apparently my "personal fan" looked suspicious. Then, back on with the shoes, vest, repack the toiletries and rehook bracelets. I was exhausted by the time I sat down only to realize I had to find a bathroom (I shouldn't have had those two cups of coffee). Guess what, the only bathrooms were outside the gate area and the plane (a little puddle-jumper) wouldn't have one. I knew I couldn't wait until reaching San Francisco, so back outside I went only to have to go through the entire security check again (at least this time my handbag made it through)! And so my trip began........


The adults (anyone over the age of 8) went out to dinner at the Cafe Villagio...our version of Thanksgiving for this year. For those friends and relatives who have not met all the family, here (from bottom left) are Dennis, Jodie, Sarah, Lindsay, Peter, me, Jake, Jen and Chris.

I managed to spend a little time (but definitely not enough) with everyone.


Here are the Palmers: Ryan, Jen, Chris, Brody and Jake.









This is Ryan and his friend Cole (Lindsay and Peter's newphew). Look at those curls. Unfortunately, when they get a haircut they will no longer be babies!













Brody gave Noni the privilege of seeing a few of his first steps. What a little doll he is!



And here are the Luckrafts: Cassidy, Lindsay, Addie, Peter and Ella (who doesn't like to have her picture taken...although loves to be the "picture-taker").








That Addie is always smiling (at least whenever I see her). And, by the way, Cassidy is almost as tall as her mom.



And here's Ella taking her own picture. She also took this picture of me with my favorite son!














My hosts for the week were Sarah and Brady. They made me feel very welcome.


Once again Jodie, Dennis and Zander picked me up at the airport and traveled to the Cape to visit everyone. I hope someday they can live a little closer and Zander can grow up with his cousins.

















Zander, too, let me share in some of his first steps. It's hard to believe he's almost a year old.

Zander, Ryan and Ella had a hard time remembering me at first but my last night Ella made me cry when she begged me "don't go".

I'm really looking forward to spending a lot more time with these guys next summer!!


I also had an opportunity to have dinner with Susan and Bob to catch up on their doings since we saw them last at the Port of Newport on the Oregon coast. And the next night met up with Maureen. We had a great visit and it felt like old home week at BBC when all the regulars stopped by and said hi!






I met Regina and Sandra for lunch and spent a couple of hours just basking in their company. It's so great to see them and hear a little about all our friends back in Hopedale. Needless to say since you don't see a picture that I did not bring the camera with me. It's that age thing again!


I even got to spend a very short time with Dad and Bev before being shooed out by his physical therapist. My prayers continue for him.

Ken wanted me to let you know that while I was gone, he went horseback riding which made him sore for the next couple of days. He and Barney also took a lot of walks in the Thousand Trails neighborhood. And, he found a hobby shop where they fixed his helicopter and, when it wasn't too windy, he managed to get in a few good runs.

Returned to the Santa Ynez Valley and spent a day in Solvang, a Danish replica village set in gently rolling hills, with quiet streets lined with Danish bakeries, smorsgaabord restaurants and gift shops. We stopped for breakfast at Paula's Pancake House where I had my first Danish pancakes...boy were they delicious and a lot lighter than the pancakes I'm used to.
















We also made a quick stop at the Santa Ines Mission, the 19th of 21 California Missions established by Franciscan Priests. This Mission was founded on September 17, 1804 by Father Estevan Tapis, and was named in honor of Saint Agnes (Ines is Spanish for Agnes), an early Christian martyr of the fourth century.

On the trip back, we stopped to get a couple of pictures of Lake Cachuma, an "artificial" lake created by the Bradbury Dam. The lake looked like a great place to kayak, but they weren't allowing "water traffic" at the time we were there.















We also spent a day in Santa Barbara. What a beautiful place!! I fell in love with the downtown area and the houses built up on the hills overlooking the ocean. However, we went to a Rite Aid to pick up some supplies (no Walmart, K-Mart or Target to be found) and had to drive around in order to find a parking space. When one opened up, it was filled immediately.


Ken spoke to a local who said that was how it was all the time, not just holidays. Santa Barbara is bordered by the ocean and by the mountains and there is no where else to go, so I guess everyone is crowding into that one space.


We took a walk along Stearns Wharf, one of Santa Barbara's most visited landmarks. When completed In 1872, it became the longest deep-water pier between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The Harbor Restaurant was built on the wharf in 1941, marking an end to the shipping and transportation era of the 1800s.







Since its beginning, Stearns Wharf has had several natural disasters, from the earthquake in 1925 to a fire in 1973 which caused its closing. The wharf stayed closed for six years until restorations were completed in 1981 (doesn't that come up to 8 years??). In 1998 another fire destroyed the last hundred and fifty feet of the wharf, including Moby Dick Restaurant. Though the rest of the wharf remained open during this period, the rebuilding took over two years.

We weren't the only ones visiting the Wharf that day.
We also got a glimpse of El Presidio de Santa Barbara, originally built in 1782. Because of all the reconstruction and restoration going on, we did not stop to visit. Presidios were built to protect missions and settlers against foreign invasions and Indian attacks.




Well, we've traveled around a lot but have never seen a conversion like this one.







A mile and a half from our campground is what I call the "deer" tree. Now, use your imagination. Doesn't this look like a deer on its hind legs lifting a front leg??? Now, walking to the "deer" tree, the grass was so dry, it "crunched". Leading to...






We woke up Friday morning to learn about the Tea Fire in the hills of Montecito, about 10 miles east of us. The fire spread so quickly because the overnight winds topped out at 80 mph. We heard the wind that night but didn't really feel it as we were in the valley. Later we found out the fire had destroyed the home of Peter's friend, Billy Joyce and his wife, Nicole. Our thoughts and prayers go with them as they start the rebuilding process.

The next morning we awoke to learn about the Sylmar Fire (not to make light of it, but out here they name their fires like we name our hurricanes). This one was blocking the following day's travel route to our next destination, Thousand Trails-Soledad Canyon, as well as our route from Soledad to LAX for Ken's flight home. Then came the Sayre fire (hardest hit: Yorba Linda), just east of Los Angeles. Needless to say, I would be extremely nervous while Ken was away to be alone in that area. I know I couldn't have driven the motorhome out of anywhere should we be evacuated. So, I hurriedly made alternate plans and we are headed to Newport Beach where I will feel more comfortable while Ken is visiting the kids.
We also learned of the death of our friend, Bill Webber, at the age of 53 from pancreatic cancer. Bill was truly a great man who loved his kids, Kevin and Katie, above all else. Our prayers go out to Bill's family and friends. He will surely be missed.


Well, as I said, we're headed for Newport Beach where I will stay while Ken takes a trip home to see the kids. I'll see you there.

No comments: