Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Peace River, Wauchula, Florida

January 27 - February 10, 2008



We're here at Peace River in Wauchula, Florida. I now understand why Disney World took up residence in Central Florida...there isn't much here and I'm sure land is cheap. There is a lot of activities here at Thousand Trails though and we won't have enough time (in two weeks) to enjoy them all. We've really enjoyed spending some time in the 80 degree weather at the pool soaking up some sun!!




As you can see, we've bought some kayaks and are enjoying our time on the Peace River. I want you to know our car and its contents are now worth more than the motor home. We have the kayaks, bikes, racks for both, and golf clubs in there!! I keep mentioning the draught, but it is having a major effect on the waterways of southeast America and it's no different here. While "yaking" we run into shallow areas of the River and all you can do is get out and pull your kayak through. As a novice "yaker", I really appreciate the shallow water at this time!!








(I've got to stop wearing that sweatshirt while in the kayak...that opening is much larger than it looks!!)




We've also played some golf (of course). The campground has an open tee time for nine holes at a local course and it gives the campers here a chance to get to know each other. We played nine with Gordon (from Oregon) and Darrell (from Indiana) and enjoyed ourselves so much that we joined up another day at The Bluffs for another 18. We all played pretty well, but I seem to do well in this Central Florida atmosphere. I had a 47 on the nine and a 95 on the 18...both GREAT scores for me. (They were pretty easy courses, but I'm pretending I don't know that so I can bask in my low scores!!!)


We visited Solomon's Castle and had lunch at the Boat in the Moat Restaurant. This is the home of artist Howard Solomon who built the structure by himself with used materials. It contains over 80 stained glass windows and countless metal sculptures made out of whatever Howard could find! He literally would see a piece of scrap metal and get an idea for a sculpture. We met Howard while having lunch at the Boat in the Moat. Ken asked him where he got his inspiration and he answered when he was high on drugs! By the look of him, we could almost believe that was true. It was really a lot of fun.












We're still flying our Patriots flag...boy was that a heartbreaking game. I was asked what I did to come out of a funk after a loss like that. My answer was: 1) don't watch TV; 2) keep busy; 3) remove all reminders of "the team" (we're taking down the flag today and putting the Red Sox banner back up!); and, 4) do not go near any New York Giants fan!!!

As I said, Peace River is located in Central Florida and there really isn't much going on if you want to go shopping for a day or out to a nice restaurant followed by a movie, but the people at Thousand Trails really try to keep you busy. We spent a couple of those 80 degree days at the pool and I even got back on a bike for an organized bike ride through the parks at Zolfo Springs. Actually, I'm really glad we got the bikes...they're a great way to get around the parks.
We're headed back to Orlando for some more golf and maybe a trip to Universal. See you there!

No comments: